[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Apr 30 14:10:17 UTC 2012

On 30/04/12 15:02, kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Hum.... backups
>
> Ubuntu One accounts get 5Gb free. I'm wondering if an option to
> automatically sync the Documents folder with Ubuntu One might help
> people not loose lots of work? I know it is getting into Google
> Chrome OS territory, and, yes, potentially another annoying and
> confusing choice when booting for the first time. Just a thought.
>
> Hope the chap who has nowhere to copy his 19Gb reads this: 5Gb on
> Ubuntu One, 2Gb on Dropbox and 5Gb on Google Drive. Use a local
> coffee bar or arts centre free wifi to do the intial sync to avoid
> topping out your broadband if it is capped. Better than loosing the
> lot.

I have not used it much yet but I think that the backup app in 12.04
- by default - tries to connect with ubuntu one! :-)
This is a good idea in principle. However I will be interested to see
how it works out. There are a real lot of hurdles from novice needing
initial backup through to successful use of U1 for backup, not least a
typically slow-ish upload rate.
Most people are now familiar with usb sticks and external larger usb
connected drives, and I suspect that is a more newcomer friendly route.

--
alan cocks