[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Apr 30 13:53:21 UTC 2012

On 30/04/12 11:14, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 April 2012 09:35, Alan Bell<alanbell at ubuntu.com>  wrote:
>>  http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/upgradepics/offer.png
>>  http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/upgradepics/confirm.png
>
> Perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a warning on one of these that
> all important data should be backed up before proceeding.

A statement that data *loss* can sometimes occur is a useful
complement to suggesting another course of action (do a backup).

I know someone who stopped installing ubuntu temporarily  because he
had read on the CD packet that the 'default install' could wipe all
his data. He took it seriously.

The current 12.04 wallet words are more targeted:
Explore and install
Try Ubuntu before you install it – simply boot your computer from
this CD. You can install Ubuntu alongside Windows or Mac OS X,
or you can replace your current operating system entirely. Just back
up your files and follow the installation instructions carefully.