[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:19:39 UTC 2012

On 30 April 2012 14:04, Phill Whiteside <PhillW at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I'd love to see how you re-install without touching /home if it is NOT a
> seperate partition which is the whole point of that link?

The link is out of date.  Since a couple of releases ago if you select
the Something Else option at the start of the install and then select
to install to the same partition as an existing Ubuntu but do /not/
specify that the partition should be formatted then it will replace
all the system files but leave /home as it is.  Effectively the same
as if /home were on a separate partition.

> Secondly, taking a
> backup oh your /home partition once you have it is 'walk in the park'.

That link does not even address that issue.

> Thirdly, it is at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu Which
> states a couple of times about backing up. "If you do not back up your
> important data, your data is not important to you". A a noob back in 9.04, I
> followed it with no problems - I just followed the instrcutions carefully
> (it was hosted on Psychocats back then).

The link says that setting up the partition in the first place is
"beyond the scope of this page" and links to a set of pages that the
vast majority of non-geek users would be completely baffled by.  Most
of them probably don't even know what a partition is.

Colin