[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

Andy Braben andybraben at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:15:20 UTC 2012

> People also need a clear warning to backup their system - we assume it's
> common sense, but apparently most don't.

People need a clear warning to backup their data (not system) at all times.
Not just when upgrading. I have never ever had a failure upgrading Debian
or Ubuntu - but I have had a hard disk failure which trashed my home
directory and a lot of data.

For me, all I had to do was get another hard disk, reinstall Ubuntu, and
restore a backup. Loss? Almost nothing.

Backing up is important and vital at all times - not just for an upgrade. I
do not have a lot of sympathy for users who never ever backup, and never
enters their heads to do so. To me it is vitally important - I keep backups
off site as well.

--
Regards,
Andy