[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

kpb kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk
Mon Apr 30 06:09:04 UTC 2012

On 29/04/12 22:54, alan c wrote:
> There are strong moves to make Ubuntu good for a vast user base, but
> many existing users are diy users like my 80+ friend, and in terms of
> a discussion list like this one, they are novices and do not know
> what, say, a partition is, like most Windows users don't.

Hello Alan and all

And very few Windows home users ever reinstall their operating system.
They tend to buy new computers instead, and get the latest release then.
Hopefully we will see more Ubuntu systems being sold, but the 2 year LTS
cadence means there will be more changes of distribution than in the
Windows world. A number of people I know had problems with the iOS
upgrades on their iPhones. Much confusion, repeated visits to clueless
staff in phone shops until it got sorted.

Is there a case for a modified installer for LTS releases? Perhaps with
a keyboard option that makes the more advanced options available?

Is there a case for an LTS -> LTS upgrade process that keeps a 'restore
point' (sorry for Windows terminology!) so that a return to the previous
state is possible? Like Service Pack 3 on XP?

Cheers