[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Apr 29 21:54:12 UTC 2012

On 29/04/12 21:04, Alan Bell wrote:
> it says "do you want to upgrade?" and you can say yes or no to it.
> Clearly "yes" is the preferred option, but why shouldn't we encourage
> people to upgrade to new cool stuff that will make their experience
> better (which is the aim of it, sometimes that doesn't work out so well)?

Why? because some regular users like my 80+ year old friend (sadly now
no longer with  us) easily confuse an up'date' with an up'grade'.
Whereas updates are usually fairly safe, upgrades are not. Upgrade and
update sound similar and seem similar. They appear even in the same
window in the same situation.

Some users are ordinary non technical people. Update or upgrade is all
the same to them. One can consider that such ordinary human beings
are, or are not,  capable of using the first user account to have
access to the admin level. My 92 year old relative, who only does
online shopping and is closely administered by tech family members if
changes are needed has a restricted account, but it is not appropriate
for an independent active 84 year old who goes to windows club every
week and uses Windows (was XP) routinely, and can and does expect to
install stuff from say the ubuntu software centre when he needs to in
his dual boot laptop.

There are strong moves to make Ubuntu good for a vast user base, but
many existing users are diy users like my 80+ friend, and in terms of
a discussion list like this one, they are novices and do not know
what, say, a partition is, like most Windows users don't.

It is such users that will get tripped up by Upgrade vs Update. This
is especially because the enthusiasm of our community and devs to
encourage upgrades is aimed at the traditional enthusiast linux based
os user, not the less competent  joe or jane. Version upgrades are
notified by default and the reason a health warning would be
appropriate is because the least technical user is *likely* to fall
for it, like my friend.

Or will we move to a discussion about the wrong sort of leaves on the
track or the wrong sort of users for Ubuntu, I trust not. It is the
sort of thing which will hopefully get addressed  before too long, now
that unity is  finding its feet. But it is an important type of issue
and it is something which (Windows etc) are well versed at, although
they have a knack of being condescending, and somehow untrustworthy.

This danger of 'relatively little knowledge' only exists in some
areas, not all. Many aspects of Ubuntu really are very good for
novices, I have many examples.

However because the main user base currently has to self install, the
less-technical end of this group can get trouble from information
intended mostly for more experienced users.

Not an upgrade situation: but a novice danger example was ubuntu 10.10
cd where one of the options for install caused loss of all the other
partitions on the disc. This problem was a severe problem, but
fortunately relatively few people chose the problem option. Of course,
I did (!) and lost multiple OS's on the test machine, but then I had
images. The problem remained unchanged throughout the life of 10.10.
Even Mint had the same bug, they did not seem to think it important!
My point here is that although such problems can be coped with by
techy enthusiasts they are much more serious for novice but slightly
adventurous Windows users, who have may have been encouraged by friends.

The sort of trouble that some users can get themselves into - a type
of user that we deliberately are aiming to increase in numbers -
continues to need a type of design vigilance which is a bit unusual in
the GNU/Linux world.
--
alan cocks