[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun Apr 29 18:37:46 UTC 2012

On 29/04/12 18:58, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 29/04/12 18:55, Barry Drake wrote:
>> I've spent quite a bit of time on Ubuntu Help today
> where exactly?

Launchpad - at :https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu  This is not
somewhere I usually lurk but it was so overwhelmed that I thought I'd
put my two pence in.  Most of the questions I dealt with were after a
clean install, and were fairly simple ones because the desktop is so
different.
>> as the questions were overwhelming the regular folk so I took a few
>> on board.  There are a vast number of folk who have virtually trashed
>> their system by trying to do an upgrade.

> it would be better to fix the problem

I agree, but the problem is so widespread and well distributed that I
don't think it is going to get fixed.  I think it is a product of the
very high level of change between the distributions.
>>   are these upgrades from 10.04 or 11.10?

Both basically.
> What problems are people having?

All manner of things varying from no control of sound, no sound at all,
Libreoffice not working, bookmarks missing - to be honest just about
everything you can think of.  As well as that there were various crash
messages that nearly got fixed ....  I saw some of this and mentioned it
on the list a few days ago.  Upgrading to 12.04 is disastrous.  I
actually wonder if anyone has succeeded.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/