[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun Apr 29 17:55:25 UTC 2012

I've spent quite a bit of time on Ubuntu Help today as the questions
were overwhelming the regular folk so I took a few on board.  There are
a vast number of folk who have virtually trashed their system by trying
to do an upgrade.  This is exactly the problem I had when upgrading my
netbook, so I did a clean install.  But I'm fairly paranoid about
backups so this was easy.  Can we press for much bigger warnings in
future telling folk that if they go any further with the upgrade, they
risk losing everything?  The live-CD gives a low key warning of sorts,
but the updater just gets on with it and thus trashes stuff.  I think
the word 'sorry' has got into more of my replies today than ever before.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/