[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 Unity intro poster

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Apr 28 10:59:23 UTC 2012

On 25/04/12 22:13, alan c wrote:
> Hi Barry. I am dealing with 60 plus ages and they are all technophobes
> using Ubuntu without reading any instructions at all. Some are adults
> with learning difficulty. The thought of even -me- needing to look at
> such an information diagram is an unpleasant thought for me.

I think it's a case of 'horses for courses'.  I played around with an
iPod for a couple of weeks back in March.  I was horrified by the lack
of instructions.  My daughter picked it up and almost instantly had it
doing what she wanted by trial and error.  My four-year old
granddaughter soon found her way around it well enough to play the games
my daughter loaded onto it for her age-group.  It's teaching her to read
remarkably quickly and it's fun ....

Someone just upgraded from 10.04 and after answering a couple of
questions, I pointed him to the poster.  He found it very helpful.  I
think older folk are more likely to need instructions; young folk are
used to intuiting their way around a smartphone or similar and getting
results by trial and error.  And it's great when you can have someone
looking over your shoulder and giving helpful hints.  That isn't always
possible, so I really would like to see that poster linked from the
Ubuntu site.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/