[ubuntu-uk] Install problems...

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:09:22 UTC 2012

On Dydd Gwener 27 mis Ebrill 2012 18:05:03 BST, James Morrissey wrote:
> Found the bug report.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter/+bug/909871
>
> If anyone can tell me how to set
>
> b43.blacklist=yes
>
> I'd appreciate it.

I googled "grub module blacklist" and found
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_modules#Examples_using_GRUB

So I think you edit the grub command list as the live cd boots and add
either "modprobe.blacklist=b43" or "b43.disable=1", but that's just a
guess. Worth a try.

See below too...

> On 27 April 2012 17:35, James Morrissey <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> On 27 April 2012 09:45, James Morrissey <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>>> This is the wireless driver which i have always installed using a
>>> wired connection once i've booted to the install. I am not sure either
>>> why this is proving a problem while trying to run a live session, nor
>>> what i am meant to do about it. Am i supposed to somehow get the
>>> wireless driver onto the live USB?
>>>
>>> On that note the website
>>> (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware),
>>> mentioned in the error, doesn't work. It seems that it should read:
>>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware.

That's a bug, since a dead link is mentioned in the error message.

I'd also say that it's a bug that trying to enable the wireless adaptor
freezes the boot. It should either work (difficult since the firmware's
proprietary) or it should not try to enable the wireless at all.

Good luck!

Neil.