[ubuntu-uk] Install problems...

James Morrissey morrissey.james1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:45:16 UTC 2012

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response.

> Einstein said doing the same thing and expecting different results was a
> sign of madness - but then he didn't like quantum mechanics and had no
> experience of PCs!

Ha, i prefer the mantra: 'Never underestimate the power of a reboot'.

> I think there might be a wiki page with a list of boot options you can try
> if your boot freezes, but I can't remember where it is. Try google with the
> site: option?

I think that i found the site that you mentioned, but it didn't seem
to provide a complete solution. What it did do however was prompt me
to set the boot option to 'nomodeset' (press F6 at install options
screen), which gives me a readout of the error.

So now the problem appears to be with the proprietary wireless driver
as the error message reads as follows:

[    48.753669] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
[    48.753687] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
[    48.753698] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please
carefully read all instructions on this site.

This is the wireless driver which i have always installed using a
wired connection once i've booted to the install. I am not sure either
why this is proving a problem while trying to run a live session, nor
what i am meant to do about it. Am i supposed to somehow get the
wireless driver onto the live USB?

On that note the website
(http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware),
mentioned in the error, doesn't work. It seems that it should read:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware.

>From the website i can't seem to work out what to do. When it says
'toggle line numbers', i am not sure of the file in which i am meant
to be toggling them. I am also guessing, if its the case that I need
to add a line saying: sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer, i
need to be connected to the internet on a wired connection while i try
and boot to the live USB (i have tried that already and it doesn't
resolve the error).

If anyone knows what i need to do that'd be great. Also if someone can
tell me whether it is in fact a bug (both that this presents as a
problem on the live usb and that the website address provided by the
error seems to be incorrect) ,i'll file it as such.

Thanks,