[ubuntu-uk] My 12.04 experience

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 19:03:07 UTC 2012

On 23/04/12 19:59, Pete Smout wrote:
> On 23/04/12 18:52, Dave Morley wrote:
>>
>> On 23/04/12 18:37, Pete Smout wrote:
>>> Hi, Just thought I'd feedback my 12.04 experiences so far.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu will not install on any of the 3 machines tried on so
>>> far! Gets as far as asking for user name / psswd and then says
>>> error! tried 2 different downloads so I think its the system
>>> not the .iso image
>>>
>>> Xubuntu 12.04 (Beta 2) installs first time no trouble at all
>>> and although I haven't tested everything yet my first
>>> impressions are 'Wow why would anybody use Unity on a PC or
>>> Laptop!'
>>>
>>> I hope this situation is not the same for first time installers
>>> as if it was my first experience I would probably still be a
>>> Windoze user!
>>>
>>> Still unsure weather or not to upgrade my main machine from
>>> 10.04 as I personally cannot see the benefit of unity on a PC
>>> (and two years on I have Lucid set just how I want it!)
>>>
>>> Reagrds
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>

>> Pete,
>>
>> Hi bugs like that are really important to report.  There are lots
>> of things it could be that cause the system to die but without
>> your machines to try it out on nobody will know for sure.
>>

> Hi,
>
> At this late stage of Beta testing (release only about 1 week away)
> I would expect my fairly standard machines to be ok, machine specs
> are
>
> PC - Dual core (AMD) 3gb ram Lappy - Dual core (intel) 2gb ram Old
> PC - Pentium 4, 1.5gb ram
>
> the makes of the motherboards are unmemorable / unremarkable
>
> With the exception of the 'Old PC' (which may be too old now ,
> although I doubt it, this is Linux not windoze) surely IT SHOULD
> JUST WORK! If it was still Alpha I would of course report the
> bug(s) but it is too late now to effect the release (I believe).
>
> I will of course try when the release is official (on 29th I think)
> but surely these machine specs are not so new as no-one else in the
> world has them, if the machines were brand new core i7's or the
> latest 'gadget' machines I may well expect a few issues, but I am
> neither wealthy enough, or that bothered by the 'lack of
> performance' of my aging hardware to worry about 'keeping up with
> the metaphorical Jones's'.
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

That would normally be the case however this is supported for 5 years
on the desktop and there will undoubtedly be a lot of SRU's and fixes
going into the release so I see no reason why it would be looked into.
 And maybe a fixed release in the standard update process, I hope that
makes sense.

- --
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)