[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu and Asus

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:26:05 UTC 2012

On 20 April 2012 17:10, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

> >         Has anyone any experience or knowledge about the Asus P8H61-M
> >         motherboard, please. Thank you in advance.
> >

> > If you Google 'Ubuntu Asus P8H61-M' you will get some useful results,
> > the first being that it's an EFI board so it will probably only work
> > with a 64 bit distribution although it doesn't seem very promising
> > from that post. Asus themselves have passed it for Ubuntu 10.10.
> >
> < Snip >
>
> Surely the running of 64 bit distributions is a function of the CPU not
> the motherboard.
>

> The issue described relates to (U)EFI, which is the point at which the OS
touches the motherboard (to put it simply). In this context I'm just
pointing out what has been said about the motherboard you asked about.

Michael also makes the point that the CPU is a consideration as well and
you would have to make a decision based on what CPUs are compatible with
the motherboard and how they're both going to work with the OS.

I'd be more inclined to look at a barebones machine than individual parts
these days as recent experience has shown me that putting components
together is a minefield - the choice of power source equally dictates the
capabilities of the components, and if you're at the point where the
chassis works, adding the rest of the components gets a lot easier.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"