[ubuntu-uk] Open standards policy .....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri Apr 20 09:59:12 UTC 2012

Below is an e-mail that I have sent to
openstandards at digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk with a copy to Francis Maude
MP at psfrancismaude at cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk  I have also written to
my local MP.  Just a thought but some of you might want to do something
similar.

Dear Sirs,  I have been very concerned for some time about this issue
and did manage to attend one of the consultation sessions two years
ago.  My concern is currently over the heavy handed - almost bullying -
approach that seems to be employed by large commercial interests.  In
particular Microsoft who seem to be using closed-standards to protect their
interests and limit users to their software.  An example of this is in the way in
which ITC in schools has degenerated into teaching of the use of
Microsoft's own products and no other.

If the following is to be believed, then I think we have great cause for
concern about this issue.  Please see:
http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2012/04/how-microsoft-lobbied-against-true-open-standards-i/index.htm#comment-500786703
and also:
http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/public-sector/2012/04/proprietary-lobby-triumphs-in.html