[ubuntu-uk] Stopping bluetooth .....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Wed Apr 18 21:56:52 UTC 2012

On 18/04/12 17:16, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> AFAIK, bluetooth is the same across all flavours, have a look at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Disable_Bluetooth
> to see if that successfully blacklists it for you.

I didn't try - I don't actually want to 'blacklist' as I want to be able
to turn it on from time to time.  Blacklist would give me the same as
'rfkill block bluetooth' did in the .profile file.  What I have now
discovered comes from carefully looking at the source code for
gnome-control-center bluetooth and found that it uses rfkill - though
through changing access to the /dev/rfkill file.

I now have the following notes:
the command 'rfkill block bluetooth' stops bluetooth

Can put in the ~/.profile file
But note that bluetooth cannot then be started by any method without
commenting the above out, and re-booting.

HOWEVER if the above command is put into /etc/rc.local then 'sudo rfkill
unblock bluetooth' will do a proper restart, and restart will also take
place from the Bluetooth icon, or the Bluetooth settings application.

Feel free to put in any Ubuntu wiki or notes.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/