[ubuntu-uk] Install keeping home dir [was Stopping Bluetooth]

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:58:57 UTC 2012

On 18 April 2012 17:21, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 18 April 2012 17:11, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have never had one fail (not 15 years admittedly but a number of
> >> upgrades).  I always purge any PPAs I am using first.
> >>
> >> Also remember that if you install over an existing one but tell it not
> >> to format the partition then it will leave the home directory in place
> >> so effectively doing what you are asking.
> >>
> >> Of course with a Beta version (which is the case for the OP) then
> >> nothing is guaranteed.
> >>

> > Except it doesn't
>
> What, you mean an install in place without formatting /home corrupts
> /home?  I hope you have put a bug report in for that as it is
> extremely serious.

No, it doesn't corrupt your home directory in any way, and it's not even
limited to any *buntu. It's possibly a low level Gnome or even GNU/Linux
issue that I have also observed in variants of RedHat including Mandrake
back when it was the Linux desktop that (mostly) worked, as well as Ubuntu
since 5.10. If I had the time and the inclination to track down what it was
then I would, and it is probably application related but it's usually
quicker to reinstall. It does vary - in fact I think I upgraded from 10.10
to 11.04 on my old laptop without a problem, but had a lot of trouble going
from 11.04 to 11.10 on my desktop so in the end I stick with clean
reinstalls.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood