[ubuntu-uk] Stopping bluetooth .....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Wed Apr 18 15:07:13 UTC 2012

I've just put 12.04 on my Samsung N150 netbook.  Previously, I've had to
do various tweaks to get things fully working, but with 12.04,
everything worked out of the box.  Fantastic.

The only problem was starting off with the 'upgrade' option on the Live
CD installer.  This was a miserable failure in several ways  including a
non-working installation of the Ubuntu Software Centre.  I don't want to
go into all the details, but I've never yet got 'Upgrade', either online
or from a live CD to work properly.  It was quicker and easier to
re-install.

There is something I've wanted to do before and failed.  I'd like
Bluetooth to be off by default.  The command 'service bluetooth stop'
which I seem to remember used to work, gives the reply 'bluetooth
stop/waiting' but does not turn Bluetooth off according to the Bluetooth
icon.  The command 'rfkill block bluetooth' does work OK, but if I want
to turn bluetooth back on, 'unblock' sets the icon to active, but
Bluetooth won't work until I have re-booted without the rfkill command
in my ~/.profile file.

Something has to be possible as I can turn Bluetooth off and on again by
clicking on the icon and using the menuitem there.  But I'd like to do
this as a command on startup.  Any thoughts?

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/