[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: Re: Strange notification message on desktop

Byte Soup bytesoup at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:04:12 UTC 2012

On Apr 17, 2012 11:12 AM, "David King" <linuxman at avoura.com> wrote:

> On 03/04/12 12:34, Alan Pope wrote:

>> On 03/04/12 11:18, David King wrote:
>>>
>>> I am running Ubuntu 10.10. The message appeared again, and it was
>>> actually "Semantic Disk Storage", but the message gives me no clue
>>> as to whether it is an error or a notification, or what it is
>>> trying to tell me.
>>
>> Can you take a screenshot of it next time it appears? Just press the
>> "Print Screen" or "PrtSc" key on your keyboard and save the picture.
>> Then we can take a look and maybe get a clue what's generating it.
>>

> The message had not appeared for some time, but today it made an
appearance again.

> Here is what it looks like:
>

> And of course it says "Semantic Data Storage" rather than what I wrote
before, having not remembered it correctly.

> I looked at the syslog and this is what was there from booting to getting
into the desktop (just the last few entries):

> (Someone mentioned Ubuntu One, and there is a warning about that near the
end, with the client not being found, although I have had no problems
uploading files to Ubuntu One lately)

gnome-session[3061]: WARNING: Could not launch application
'alarm-clock.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child
process "alarm-clock" (No such file or directory)
> Apr 16 09:41:38 avourastudio gnome-session[3061]: WARNING: Could not
launch application 'ubuntuone-client-applet.desktop': Unable to start
application: Failed to execute child process "ubuntuone-client-applet" (No
such file or directory)

Looks like somethings gone wrong with the panel applets. I remember
something about deleting the .gnome2 and/or .gconf directories under your
home directory can reset the panels to default. It's just an idea,
obviously backup first :)