[ubuntu-uk] Worrying article

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:43:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:48:15 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I've been at my parents today and showed it to them to see what they thought.  They're both Ubuntu users but rarely fiddle with settings.  To say they were baffled would be an understatement.  They really weren't sure what was being recorded and benefits it had.  The relationship of the two buttons in the Recent Items tab also baffled them.  Did the RH button save things for an hour, day, week, etc. or was that what the LH Delete History button deletes.  I'll add this to the bug and thanks again to Colin for his excellent explanation of the problems on the bug thread.
>
> You are right about the buttons being confusing.  The clue to the
> right hand button is in the heading "Forget Activities", it clears the
> data for the period specified in the button (the last hour or
> whatever).  The heading is too far from the button however.  It is the
> age old problem of someone who knows how to do something writing the
> instructions, it is not easy to put yourself into the mind of someone
> who is coming at it for the first time.  (To assemble: Insert sprogget
> B into cordwangle C as shown in diagram XVII)

I know what it's like trying to write instructions for people.  Trying to get 'just enough' information so people can follow them and 'chapter-and-verse' which causes people to skip things as they don't want to read it all is very hard.  Privacy is a very problematic area because a lot of people have a hard time understanding it.

--
Steve <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com>