[ubuntu-uk] Worrying article

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Mon Apr 9 13:11:53 UTC 2012

On 09/04/12 10:20, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> On 9 April 2012 09:24, Bill Baker <boosys at gmail.com
> <mailto:boosys at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     This has appeared on Linux Today site:
>
>     "Should you be worried about Ubuntu Desktop's privacy settings?"
>     "LinuxBSDos: I hope that I am wrong, but your new Ubuntu system
>     could be
>     used to spy on you."
>
>     http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2012-04-09-002-41-SC-UB
>
>     Should someone [in a position to do be authoritative on the reply]
>     actually respond or reply to the article I wonder?
>     --
>

> There is a point about the Ubuntu OS privacy policy being available
> somewhere as it doesn't seem to be immediately obvious, but the
> Privacy Control Panel is exactly the opposite of what the author seems
> to think it is, being what is currently known as Activity Log Manager
> actually finding a place in the standard installation. Activity Log
> Manager controls what Zeitgeist, the subsystem that monitors your
> activity and converts it into suggested activities and files on the
> Dash, shows you. The writer either didn't understand that or chose not to.
>
> s/
> --
> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> "Go on Bobby, both barrels"
I have no issue with the OS recording what gets used / downloaded most
often,  and what gets downloaded,  if it helps canonical make better
choices as to waht to include on cd's for example and gives feedback to
developers as to what is popular

I know windows tells users what is installed and what gets used and how
often it helps when removing packages etc.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com

skype : psutton111