[ubuntu-uk] Unity testing

Byte Soup bytesoup at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 07:48:02 UTC 2012

> We're collating this round of testing at 07:00 UTC on Monday but if
> you do find any bugs over the next few weeks, do please let us know.
>
> Cheers,
> - --
> Alan Pope

I run as many of the test I could. I installed a spare drive into a Dell
latitude D610 laptop and installed from DVD. I have run all previous
versions of Ubuntu on this machine since 8.04 and its always seen my
wireless card and compiz has always worked ok.

I know its not a powerful machine by a long shot but it seemed to be
running real slow. It turns out compiz kept crashing which meant the
desktop would freeze up completely. I had to drop to the console and kill X
and checkbox to restart. I got cheesed off after a while so skipped the
last bunch of tests.

So my question is, when compiz dies is it expected the desktop just
freezes? In gnome on my work machine which still runs 10.04 all windows
clutter onto one workspace and at least you can get a terminal and issue
the "compiz --replace" command to rescue your desktop, and save any work.

I did get a error pop up when compiz died but it said something along the
lines that its not a core ubuntu component and so I couldn't submit a error
report.

Do I just submit a separate manual bug for the desktop issue?

Cheers

Mark