[ubuntu-uk] Unity testing

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Sun Apr 8 19:41:08 UTC 2012

Hi Barry,

On 08/04/12 18:10, Barry Drake wrote:
> Norman well said!  Unity testing folk (and Popey) please note.  I
> was appalled at the level of knowledge that the tests required.
> The Unity testing program ought at least to tell you how to start
> gedit etc.

Interesting feedback Barry. I certainly didn't expect this, but then I
naïvely expected people on this list to have taken a look at 12.04
previously, and be familiar with the basics. Thanks for highlighting
this.

> And to use programs that are installed by default, which does NOT
> include Amarok that is (almost) specifically asked for by at least
> one of the tests.

Amarok is specifically asked for because it's a Qt app which has an
indicator. I don't know of any application we ship which fulfils that
criteria. If we didn't do that test then we'd have no way of knowing
if Qt apps appear in the indicator area correctly. So that's the
rationale for it being there.

> By the way, gedit is the default text editor and you can start it
> by clicking on 'Text Editor'.  Where do you find that?  Well, it's
> not too bad now I know my way around the latest Unity ...  but I
> agree, it can be a bit daunting.

There is some basic level of expertise required, I agree.

> However, if you type 'gedit' into the entry field that comes up
> when you click the top (Ubuntu) button on the launcher sidebar, you
> will get a match that you can click.

That's called the Dash.

 The same
> would be true of Nautilus, but actually all you need to do is open
> the 'Files' (Home Folder) icon on the launcher sidebar.
>
> Oh, and a 'program that needs multiple windows'   ....   PLEASE
> .... some of us might understand this, but just get back to the
> drawing board.

I think you might be over-thinking this test :)

Surely you're familiar with the concept of a "window" on your desktop?
Open nautilus and in the "File" menu there's "New Window". Firefox
also has a "New Window" option. That's what it's talking about.
Applications which can have multiple windows on your screen.

> Unity testing folk - please use plain English for a change!!!!
> </rant>

Many of the tests were written by people for whom English is not their
first language, indeed it may be their third or fourth. They are also
developers writing tests predominantly for other experienced users and
developers. So lets not be too harsh on them. The feedback is taken on
board though and I'll pass it on.

> Norman, please continue, and ask this list at every hurdle.  It's
> worth it.  If only to try the latest Unity lenses.  Unity under
> 12.04 is awesome!!!!

We're collating this round of testing at 07:00 UTC on Monday but if
you do find any bugs over the next few weeks, do please let us know.

Cheers,
- --
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager