[ubuntu-uk] Unity testing

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 8 07:55:14 UTC 2012

On 7 April 2012 23:34, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> On 7 April 2012 17:10, Alan Pope <alan.pope at canonical.com> wrote:
>> > Boot off the USB stick or CD/DVD and then follow the prompts. one of
>> > the options is to install side-by-side with your existing
>> > installation. Choose that, job done.
>>
>> If you choose that route does it give a choice on how much space to
>> keep for the existing system?  It is a long time since I tried it but
>> I seem to remember then that it squashed my existing system down to
>> the smallest it could and I later had to adjust the partitions sizes.
>
> Yeah. I don't think it prompts you per se but it picks roughly sensible
> defaults and lets you adjust them. How long ago did you last do it, I
> don't remember it ever doing that.

It was a couple of years ago at least.  My memory may not be entirely
accurate.  I think the problem was that I was installing Ubuntu
alongside Windows in order to play try Ubuntu to see what it was all
about.  In that situation Windows continued to be my main OS and my
disk was not overly large so I wanted the max available for Win with
just enough for Ubuntu to run happily.  I think I ended up with
something like 40GB for my Win partition which meant it was almost
full and the same for Ubuntu which was then virtually empty.  What I
really wanted was 70 for win an 10 fur Ubuntu.  I don't know what
algorithm it uses now, something like dividing it so that each system
ends up with the same free space might be good.  Another thing that I
thought was not so good was that it did not tell me how it was going
to partition it and ask me if that was ok so that I could back out and
use the advanced settings instead.  It just went ahead and did it.  As
I said, however, my memory may be failing me and the installer may
have changed since then.

Colin

> --
> Avi