[ubuntu-uk] Display problems with foreign characters in browsers.

Matthew Sturdy matt.sturdy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:43:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have had an issue for a while now with the display of certain characters
in both Firefox and Chrome on my laptop.  Example characters are: çõáú

These are presented correctly in the webpages as HTML entities (ç
õ etc)
If I copy and paste them to the terminal, or to a text entry field in the
browser, they display correctly.

Interestingly, it happens identically on both Firefox and Chrome.  This
makes me think that maybe I have some issue with an installed font, but I
don't really know how to check it!

I am running:
- Linux mariachi 3.0.0-17-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 8 20:45:39 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- GNOME Shell 3.3.90
- Google Chrome 18.0.1025.142
- Mozilla Firefox 11.0

It's really frustrating as I use webpages in English, Spanish and
Portuguese.. I've asked on the Ubuntu Forum, but didn't get much help... I
would really appreciate anything that anyone can suggest to try, or some
pointers as to where to investigate!

Cheers,
Matt