[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu compatible digital voice recorder

Timothy Rittman tim.rittman at doctors.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 21:53:43 UTC 2011

Hi James,

I use the Sony ICD-UX200
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dic-voice-and-music-recorders/icd-ux200. I
haven't come across any compatibility issues with it. It's got good
sound quality and, importantly, a USB port which hides away very neatly.
When plugged in you can drag and drop sound files as if it were a normal
USB stick. The battery life is good and it has 2Gb of memory. It's maybe
a bit more expensive than other similar devices (around £80), but it
seems to do the job very well. I mainly use it for writing articles and
notes.

The main thing missing from it is a decent rewind button whilst
recording; once it's recorded you can't re-record the last few seconds
if you've made a mistake. It sounds like that wouldn't be too much a of
a problem for your sort of work.

For transcription I use Express scribe software:
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html. There is a free linux version,
but I couldn't get it to work. However the windows version works well in
wine. If you find a better open source alternative please let me know!
Alternatively, the voice recorder itself has a playback function where
you can slow down the speed for easier transcription, or you can play
the recordings in any mp3 player (but without the ability to slow it
down effectively in the ones I tried).

At work I've used various olympus voice recorders, which have the
advantage of a better rewind to re-record function. However, as you say
I'm not sure what the compatibility is like and they tend to be a lot
more expensive. I've also tried a Philips voice recorder (I can't
remember which one) but it was a lot more fiddly to use and didn't have
the inbuilt USB or slow playback functions.

All the best with your work in Ethiopia, it sounds interesting.

Kind regards,

Tim