[ubuntu-uk] What should be done for 12.04

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Mon Sep 26 13:00:30 UTC 2011

On 26/09/11 13:48, Alan Pope wrote:
> Now we're perilously close to releasing 11.10 onto the world, it's
> been asked [0] what things the developers would like to see the focus
> on for the 12.04 (Long Term Support) release.
>
> Personally I would like all core applications to support proxy servers
> properly. Especially as it's an LTS release which is arguably
> well-suited to corporate users who are those most often behind proxy
> servers. (ubuntu one file sync being something that doesn't work
> behind proxies)
>
> I wondered what you lot might desire for 12.04?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> [0] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2011-September/012901

1.  Focus on stability rather than new features.

2.  Good documentation

3.  Posters and promo materials etc in the repositories so they can be
downloaded easily as a package and accessed by users

4.  If we don't have any perhaps some sort of content filtering system
so we can allow people to filter unsuitable content (I know this will be
controversial but if we don't it will work against us)

5. not suire if this is possible but linked to the above perhaps age
ratingfs for games and again give users control so we can install games
with more adult (usually blood, gore, violence) on a system but have the
main (sudo account holder) choose which users can run the software, (so
tight restrictions) have clear warnings about content on the software /
games.   If there are ratings then include these, doom for example was
given a 15 rating,  ok that was almost 15 years ago,  but its still 15,
if people choose to ignore that,  then at least we cover our backs.

I think this could be fairly easy to implement, the ratings can be
included in software centre.

6. if we are not including synaptic make it easy to install this more
'advanced' stuff from software centre,

Hope this helps if i think of anything else will reply to the above

Paul