[ubuntu-uk] efi boot, Windows 8 and Linux

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 16:33:19 UTC 2011

On 23 September 2011 16:59, Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>wrote:

> On 23 September 2011 16:20, James Morrissey <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This appeared on the OMGUbuntu site earlier today:
>>

>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/microsoft-attempt-address-windows-8-linux-worries/
>>
>> james.

>>> off.
>>> but
>>> virtualised.
>>> have

>>> Yes, agree this is what is likely to happen. It would effectively
>>> confine Linux back to a small, techie ghetto - and that's assuming that
>>> it will still be possible to buy motherboards without the keys or with
>>> an 'off' switch.
>>>
>>> When I'm talking to voluntary sector orgs they frequently say to me that
>>> Microsoft Windows is 'part of the computer' and if you change the OS it
>>> won't work properly any more. This could make that current misconception
>>> actually true!
>>>
>>> What's Canonical's view on this? It seems tempting to team up with a
>>> producer such as Aleutia to ensure that unlocked PCs are still out there
>>> - and with an 'eco' selling point.
>>>
>>> Paula
>>>

>>> --
>>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>

>> --
>> Dr. James Morrissey
>> Senior Research Officer
>> Refugee Studies Centre
>> Department of International Development
>> University of Oxford
>>

>> It seems to me that Secure Boot, in principal, is a Good Thing and that
> all operating systems should offer it.  Its all about how it is implemented
> and the provision of an opt-out where needed.
>
> From what I have read it would be a good thing if Ubuntu came with Secure
> Boot.  So my question is - is this possible?  Is there anything to stop
> Ubuntu and other main stream distros providing it?

No, not at all. The issue would be whether the PC makers would include the
distro's key in their machines. There's an analogy with SSL certificates,
the component of a website that secures communication between you and it:
anyone can produce a certificate for a website. What makes it work is having
that certificate correctly identified by your web browser. The same will
apply to UEFI. In theory anyone could secure an OS if the firmware is
sufficiently open but realistically assurance will mean that it isn't.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"Is this your sanderling?"