[ubuntu-uk] Open Source Schools Project - literacy

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Wed Sep 21 14:18:10 UTC 2011

On 21/09/11 13:19, Sarah Chard wrote:
> feedback from teachers from the first school we visited as a part of
> our OSSP is that they really need good quality programs that address
> literacy  not just letters and spelling but grammar, punctuation and
> sentence construction
Maybe not trying to answer your specific question, my own pet hate is
the insistence of teaching Microsoft Publisher in schools.  I think we
should challenge this on the grounds that MS Publisher does not conform
to an open standard and is therefore going against the British
Government call for open standards in all government IT.  I'm not a
desktop publisher user, but wonder how well something like Scribus would
fill the bill for schools?

Regards,        Barry

http://ubuntuadverts.org/