[ubuntu-uk] Open Source Schools Project - literacy

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 13:22:42 UTC 2011

n Wed, 2011-09-21 at 11:27 +0000, bodsda at googlemail.com wrote:
Did they have specific issues with the grammar checking in OOo?
On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 13:12 +0100, paul sutton wrote:

> We need contextual grammar checking which is far harder,  and probably
> even harder when you have to deal with the English language and its
> rules and the odd exception where that rule does not apply.
>
> Paul

we  used the locked version to demonstrate at the school so haven't
included an office suite as it's very lightweight - we are concentrating
on primary schools this term but are giving the schools a larger
installable version. At the minute for the installable primary version
we have included ABI word and gnumeric

I think what they want are fun programs like tuxmath etc that give the
kids jumbled sentences so they have to unmix the words and correct the
punctuation and grammar

Please download a copy at http://www.tuxedu.org.uk/
test it out and give it to kids to test - it's a work in progress  -
ideally we would like both locked and installable versions to be based
on lubuntu but Tony had problems locking the lubuntu so the locked
version is debian. Also the locked version needed to fit onto a cd so
anyone could run it. We want feedback please via the mailing list you
can find at the site.

Sarah