[ubuntu-uk] cups wrapper and ppd files

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Sep 21 11:08:30 UTC 2011

Hi

My brother printer recently died and I am looking to replace it with
another Brother printer as I have had a good few years service from the
old one.

The brother site has both cupswrapper components and ppd drivers.   I am
aware i don't need the lpr drivers as I am using cups.

As I have a cups wrapper already installed would I be right in thinking
I don't need to reinstall this, so I just download a ppd file and point
the add printer wizard thing at a ppd file.

The site is clearly aimed at systems where no driver is actually
installed hence i need the cupswrapper when i firs start off.

Thanks for any help

Paul