[ubuntu-uk] Boot/Grub problem

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 20:04:35 UTC 2011

Hi all

I've got a problem with booting after I removed my old 1GB swap file and
created a new bigger swap file.  The upshot of this seems to be that /boot
is now on /dev/sda6 instead of /dev/sda7.  (That's because the old swap was
before it on the disk).  What I get now is Error: unknown filesystem and
the Grub Rescue prompt.  I can put in appropriate commands there, which
gives me the Grub menu and I can boot from there.  I have run update-grub
and as far as I can see, grub.cfg now refers to /dev/sda6, but I am still
getting the Grub error.

Do I have to run grub-install as well?  If I do, what is install_device?  I
don't want to make things worse by getting this wrong.

Tony