[ubuntu-uk] Open Source VOIP

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Tue Oct 25 08:40:36 UTC 2011

On 18/10/11 14:42, Tim Dobson wrote:
> I used to work for a gradwell reseller and they definitely have an
> unlimited UK landlines package. Call them up, speak to a salesdroid
> and get him to sort you out... ideally get him to mail you some
> options. :)
I'm coming back on a now somewhat extinct thread because the original
posting inspired me to do some research.
Truphone seems to offer an excellent service and I've never met a more
helpful e-mail support service.  But the dedicated Java-based client
failed to work for me under Ubuntu.  Truphone will not reveal SIP
settings, so you are stuck with their proprietary apps.

VoipALot - http://www.voipalot.com seems to have great possibilities but
as I couldn't find a way of testing before putting $10 on the account, I
gave up with that one.

VoipStunt - http://www.voipstunt.com/en/ looks even better and offers
free testing.  But I have not managed to get it to allow me to sign up.
I'd love to know how you did it if anyone gets it to work!

CallCentric - http://www.callcentric.com/ Works OK for me.  It gives
free testing, and a variety of different tariff options including a PAYG
arrangement which suits me.  The PAYG accepts topups of as little as $5
so it doesn't cost the earth to check it out.  It also automatically
gives you a free +1 777 number which becomes your username.  Call rates
seem on a par with Skype - or maybe a bit higher.  As SipGate and
Gradwell don't offer PAYG, I haven't really looked at them.  It's horses
for courses.

SoftPhones: I tried and failed with Ekiga.  ZoiPer is recommended by
CallCentric and worked well when I installed it, but it crashed and
burned after a while, and unless I re-install, I can't use it.  As it
seems to be deprecated in recent Ubuntu releases, I gave up on it.
Twinkle works tolerably well.

Any further thoughts/suggestions are welcome.  Currently I use Skype
when I'm out of the country, but I'd like to have a backup, and
CallCentric sounds promising.  And the US phone-number is kinda cool.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/