[ubuntu-uk] LO in 11.10 STILL CANNOT USE TBird addressbook as an address data source!!!!!!!!!

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:15:52 UTC 2011

On 18/10/2011 18:09, James Tait wrote:
> On 18/10/11 17:57, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> But it's been like this for years and I think I may well have filed a
>> bug years ago, but it's obviously not even been on Canonicals radar at
>> all...
>> To me it's the one thing that will stop people using Ubuntu and
>> preferring Windows - MS Office does this automatically and so does the
>> version of LO that you can get from the LO website but if the software
>> is supplied as part of the install shouldn't people expect ALL the
>> functions to be there? Why do they miss one of the most important out?
>
> If the issue is that you can use your Evolution address book(s) as a
> mail merge source in Base, but not your Thunderbird address book, you
> could try installing thunderbird-couchdb.  This allows Thunderbird to
> access the address book in desktopcouch via the Evolution Data Server;
> if Base also uses EDS to get the address books, it should be available.
>
> JT
I know there are workarounds but that shouldn't be necessary,
particularly if (as I've said) you remove the Canonical-supplied version
of LO and replace it with the one from the LO website, the TBird
integration magically appears!
It appears that Canonical do something to the version of LO/OO (and this
happened with OO as well) that they ship with Ubuntu..

--

Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 10.04 (yay!) Windows 7 (unfortunately)