[ubuntu-uk] Configure Network Manager from Command Line

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Tue Oct 18 15:51:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-18 16:00, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> Poking around, I found the /etc/resolv.conf file had nothing in it
> except a not saying it was managed by network-manager. Manually adding
> a nameserver here fixed my problem, but I am going to guess that it
> will disappear again next reboot. How do I make this permanent from
> the command line over ssh?

Strictly speaking, Network Manager doesn't change /etc/resolv.conf unless
it is configured with static DNS information, or uses DHCP to fetch the
same. A reboot alone does not cause this to happen.

Note also that if you were previously using DHCP on an interface, then
later configure it statically in /etc/network/interfaces, that the
dhcp-client instance may still be running. It will periodically refresh the
address. Kill it manually or reboot.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one."
   -- George Mikes