[ubuntu-uk] From 10.04 to 11.10?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Oct 18 13:17:06 UTC 2011

Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> I presume I can't do an in-place upgrade?

10.04 - 10.10 - 11.04 - 11.10 should be easy enough

> I'm currently saving the contents of my Home directory as I write
> this so as to be able to install 11.10 and the copy the Home
> directory back. Is that the only procedure?

That's probably the easiest if you'd rather not do three
do-release-upgrades, though if it's a separate partition you could
just have the installer not write to it.

The switch to Gnome 3 will make things more complex, though
- you'll want to make sure you don't overwrite any Gnome 3 config with
Gnome 2 bits instead, and some packages are bound to have changed names.

--
Avi