[ubuntu-uk] From 10.04 to 11.10?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 18 12:49:02 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 13:42, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I presume I can't do an in-place upgrade?

It's not recommended to go directly from 10.04 to 11.10, but you can
certainly try, you do get to keep the pieces when they break.

Alternatively you could go 10.04 -> 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10.

Alternatively you could do a new 11.10 install over the top and choose
"manual partitioning" which enables you to install over the top and
_not_ delete /home (whether it's on its own partition or not).

> I'm currently saving the contents of my Home directory as I write this so as
> to be able to install 11.10 and the copy the Home directory back.
> Is that the only procedure?

That is indeed yet another alternative. :D

Cheers,
Al.