[ubuntu-uk] Feeling tortured by Ubuntu

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:31:08 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 13:08, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 October 2011 12:49, Kris Douglas <krisdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I use Ubuntu in the workplace, I am having a problem with it at
>> the moment that is beginning to drive me a bit mad.
>>
>> I have upgraded to the latest version this week, and I am seeing
>> graphical artefacts every so often, which is new, but they do go away
>> after I have logged in. The worst problem I am having, is after around
>> 6-10 hours of use, the system begins to run slowly, and by that I mean
>> the interface becomes a lot less responsive, etc.
>>
>> I have tried downgrading and upgrading my Nvidia 9600GT card's drivers
>> and it has had little effect.
>>
>> This is denting my productivity now and I was wondering if anyone had
>> a solution to the problem I am experiencing?
>>

> Which architecture are you using?
> Which drivers are you using at the moment?
> Does the system seem to start to labour? Does the GPU fan spin up? Open a
> command line and run top, is anything taking a lot of CPU?
> I had similar problems on my Dell XPS M1330 running 64-bit a couple of years
> ago and while never getting to the bottom of the problem apart from
> identifying it as something to do with java and flash in Firefox, the usable
> solution was to run 32-bit with PAE.

I am running 32 bit with PAE, 6GB RAM, 9600GT running NVidia 280.13

Latest version of Ubuntu running Unity 3D, same problem happened with gnome 2.

Happens if I have programs open or not, there are no rogue processes
and no excessive memory usage when the slowdown occurs.

--
Regards, Kris Douglas.
 www.krisd.eu