[ubuntu-uk] Xubuntu 11.10 Problems

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 23:46:15 UTC 2011

Hi
I'd be interested to learn the experiences of anybody installing Xubuntu 11.10 from scratch or upgrading from 11.04. I've tried both today and had some real problems. The online upgrade crashed, the system recovery option on the LiveCD didn't work and the full install has resulted in a system whereby most of the theme settings are ignored by most applications, so that the whole OS is stuck with the look of classic Windows 3!
I've gone back to 11.04 and everything is fine again; rock-solid as it has been from the day it was released. Consequently, I don't think the problem is purely down to my hardware (Acer 1410 laptop).
Leaving aside the cosmetic issues, I didn't spot any new features or functions in 11.10 that really justified the upgrade. Possibly a cautionary tale for anybody considering moving up.
Cheers
Nige