[ubuntu-uk] Mobile Broadband dongles?

Stuart Ward stuart.ward at bcs.org
Fri Oct 14 11:26:35 UTC 2011

The dongle needs to be supported by the kernel, and the networking
software, Network-Manager in most cases.

>From my experience the Huawei dongles are well supported in Linux, the
ZTE ones are not as well supported, and in my opinion not as well
engineered.

The best option is to take your laptop into a shop and ask to try the
dongle, most shops have demo units you can try.

The other alternative is a MiFi type unit, these use WiFi to interface
with your lappy and can connect to other things that support WiFi like
a kindle?

Last option is to go for a Android phone that allows WiFi Hotspot from
a provider that allows tethering. This is wht I do and it works very
well. Benefit is that I only have one contract.

When I was working in the industry I tried to convince marketing bozos
that they should at least have a page on the support forms that state
which dongles work with Linux, the problem was that although the
dongle works, they have their own (crap) software on the dongle that
does the connecting and show adverts and the like.

This would possible run under wine, but why anyone would do that is beyond me.

If it works in network -Manager, plug the dongle in and see it it
turns up in the network manager list of connections.

See: http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/MobileBroadband

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143