[ubuntu-uk] Problems with installing packages

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed Oct 12 21:58:44 UTC 2011

Hi

I tried to install a driver for a brother printer and now get told that
packages are in an inconsistent state

searching through

/var/lib/dpkg/status

reveals the following

Package: mfcj615wlpr
 Copyright: 2003 Brother Industries, Ltd. All Rights Reserved
 Brother inkjet printer Driver

I just wondered how i fix this,  I can't un-install as it needs to be
reinstalled to do that, however I can't reinstall due to the state its
in (buggy package partly)

Any ideas on fixing this so i can start over with trying to install
drivers for a brother mfcj615w properly and hopefully get it working.

thanks

Paul