[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu One broken on 10.04?

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:52:42 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 17:43, James Tait wrote:
> On 11/10/11 14:27, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>> As far as I remember, synching isn't simultaneous and there is a polling
>> interval, which I think is ten minutes. I'm sure James will be able to
>> confirm that.
>
> I actually work on the server side, specifically the web interface,
> and know embarrassingly little about the desktop client.
>
> I do know at a fairly high level, though, that the desktop client
> maintains a connection to the Ubuntu One servers and monitors
> synchronised directories for changes.
>
> Those changes are then synchronised on the server (hence they appear
> instantaneously in the web interface) and a signal is sent to all
> connected clients, causing them to download the updated files.  You
> can see all this in your syncdaemon log in $HOME/.cache/ubuntuone/log
> or in the syncdaemon source code, if you're so inclined.
>
> There are lots of reasons why the updates might not be happening as
> quickly as expected, including network flakiness, network traffic or
> system load at either end or in between, server updates, service
> outages....
>
> As a test, I created a file on my Natty desktop in a folder I have
> shared with my wife and it appeared on her desktop within a few
> minutes of resuming from suspend.
>
> JT

Thanks for that information - its gone a long way to answering my questions.
On an aside, do you know if there are any plans to introduce LAN
synching, like Dropbox? Now that IS instantaneous between different
machines...

--

Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 10.04 (yay!) Windows 7 (unfortunately)