[ubuntu-uk] synaptic (packaging system) messed up (continuued)

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Oct 4 16:36:36 UTC 2011

Hi

I have managed to extract the files I think are needed for a brother
printer as the printer system is saying there is no driver and or failed
to execute a filter. (depends on which program displays the error)

so i extracted the following from the .deb and copied to where the
installer had intended to put them

as in

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfcj615w/lpd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 663956 2011-10-04 10:40 brmfcj615wfilter
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2050 2011-10-04 10:40 filtermfcj615w
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2221 2011-10-04 10:40 psconvertij2

As it says that it failed to execute a filter do the above permissions
look right,  they do have the execute flag set, perhaps there is some
other problem i have over looked, should the files be owned by another
user.

I still need to fix synaptic as until that is fixed i have no way of
installing anything else.

Paul