[ubuntu-uk] 10.04 lost sound - fixed more by luck than judgement!!!!!

George Tripp luggeorge at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 27 18:30:10 UTC 2011

> As a first step, because you are likely to have old kernels still

> installed, I would recommend trying the kernel of the same version as
> the liveCD to see if that works better.

Tried various kernels but unfortunately to no avail.

The happy ending bit:

As a last resort I thought I'd try removing pulse / alsa etc. then reboot before re-installing them. I used the remove option in aptitude.

Under the impression that I'd removed anything likely to generate any sound I was therefore quite amazed when on rebooting I got the login sound.

Not really sure what's going on here but hey a result!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

George