[ubuntu-uk] <O/T>Tablet security!

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Thu Nov 24 20:58:01 UTC 2011

On 24 November 2011 20:36, Pete <psmouty at live.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 08:09 PM, Matt Jones wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Pete<psmouty at live.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Probably a mute point, and I have no wish to feed a troll, but on TV
>>> earlier
>>> they were advertising 'Norton Tablet Security' for Android tablets, given
>>> the close similarity between Android and LINUX / UNIX based systems (I
>>> believe Android started out as open source based on LINUX), is it now
>>> essential to install an Anti-virus / anti malware on our systems?
>>>
>>> Just got me thinking thats all.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Pete.
>> There are no doubt vulnerabilities in Android that could be exploited
>> by nefarious types(The same applies to iOS/WP too), but I suspect the
>> Norton package is mostly an attempt to bolster profits on tablet sales
>> in high street stores.
>>
>> That would be my explanation as to why it is a wastefully boxed item,
>> rather than just a download on the Android Market.
> Would never consider Norton anyway (bad experience in my windoughs days!)
> but I do have clamav installed on my *buntu system, more out of courtesy to
> all my backwards friends who still use a paid for OS, so as to ensure I
> don’t forward them a virus and then have to sort their machine out!

So, there was an interesting article [1] on the Sophos [2] website a
few days back, where Chris DiBona (Google's Open Source Programme
Manager) had said how pointless and useless Antivirus on Phones was,
to which the Sophos employee basically said "we spot malware you've
downloaded and installed to your device, before it's removed from the
Market".

So, I'm still kinda torn. I've never installed Antivirus on my phone,
but then again, I tend to be pretty minimalistic about which apps I
use and install, and I don't know whether I'd recommend installing an
AV program on a phone or not. I probably wouldn't, but I'd be hard
pressed to justify why I'd make the choice.

[1] http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/11/23/googles-open-source-geezer-gets-shirty-about-security/
[2] OK, so it's actually the NakedSecurity blog, talking about
Phishing scams, clickjacking and other such things. It's the softer
side of IT Security.

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs