[ubuntu-uk] Top Posting

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Thu Nov 24 03:52:20 UTC 2011

Hi Jon,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:45:44AM -0000, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Do you make a point of bottom posting regardless of the recipient's style?
> Or do you just stay 'bothered' inside but think 'what's the point' and
> just top-post?

I'm fairly confident that email will be dead—even in a corporate
environment—before you will get everyone to agree on one style of
reply.

There are many examples in life of what is technically or logically
correct and most efficient being rejected in favour of what is
quickest or simplest, and this is one of them.

You will make no friends in the workplace by forcing colleagues,
customers and suppliers to interact with you in ways which they find
unusual and which buck the established trend.

For that reason I will start off writing an email properly but if I
get a top-posted reply then my reply will be top-posted also.

If a mailing list can get away with having a rule against
top-posting then that's great, but most venues can't.

Cheers,
Andy

"I remember the first time I made love.  Perhaps it was not love exactly but I
 made it and it still works." -- The League Against Tedium