[ubuntu-uk] Help gnome 3 broke my laptop!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 02:41:02 UTC 2011

On 20 November 2011 20:05, Pete <psmouty at live.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I was playing around trying to install gnome 3 onto my Ubuntu 11.04 system,
> this was done via synaptic, since then I have been given the choice of
> 'gnome classic, KDE (plasma workspace), Arios (my original system based on
> Ubuntu), recovery console, unity 2d, user defined session' at login but none
> of them are my original desktop session and most give the error 'unable to
> load session' with the option to logout.
>
> I have since got the KDE desktop working to write this post.
>
> I have 'completely removed' gnome 3 in synaptic but it only removed 1
> package not the 139 it installed when I installed it!
>
> My question(s) are
>
> 1/ most important how do I recover my original desktop session?
> 2/ why did it install the KDE desktop environment without me even trying?
> 3/ is there a way of listing the packages installed on a certain date/time
> to ensure I can manually remove them with the hope of restoring my system to
> it's previous state?
>
> thanks in advance (and no I will not be trying to install extra desktops on
> an existing system again, I will dual boot in future!!)

You shouldn't have done that on 11.04. GNOME 3 breaks Unity in 11.04 -
this is lavishly documented and when you added the PPA you have been
presented with multiple warnings which you have chosen to ignore or
skip.

I suggest you upgrade to 11.10. This is perfectly doable from the
command-line. It will get you Unity back and working /and/ GNOME 3 if
you wish. Both at once, which 11.04 cannot do.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com