[ubuntu-uk] Help gnome 3 broke my laptop!

Pete psmouty at live.com
Sun Nov 20 20:05:07 UTC 2011

hi all,

I was playing around trying to install gnome 3 onto my Ubuntu 11.04
system, this was done via synaptic, since then I have been given the
choice of 'gnome classic, KDE (plasma workspace), Arios (my original
system based on Ubuntu), recovery console, unity 2d, user defined
session' at login but none of them are my original desktop session and
most give the error 'unable to load session' with the option to logout.

I have since got the KDE desktop working to write this post.

I have 'completely removed' gnome 3 in synaptic but it only removed 1
package not the 139 it installed when I installed it!

My question(s) are

1/ most important how do I recover my original desktop session?
2/ why did it install the KDE desktop environment without me even trying?
3/ is there a way of listing the packages installed on a certain
date/time to ensure I can manually remove them with the hope of
restoring my system to it's previous state?

thanks in advance (and no I will not be trying to install extra desktops
on an existing system again, I will dual boot in future!!)

regards

Pete