[ubuntu-uk] Lack of support for small business

john beddard john at creationspace.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 09:21:17 UTC 2011

On 19/11/11 00:50, Gareth France wrote:
> Naturally everything is in it's infancy right now. I'll be providing a mix
> of new and reasonable spec second hand machines. Expect the range to be
> rather limited at first but I'll be looking to grow it quite quickly.
>
> The website isn't up just yet but the email is working
> sales at cliftonts.co.ukor I'm always available by phone on 07973 281384.
> I'm based in Bucks but
> I'm looking into shipping options at the moment and it should be easily
> do-able. Check out http://www.britishcomputerfairs.com and expect to see me
> at most of their events from now on.
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Alan Bell <alan.bell at libertus.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> On 19/11/11 00:42, Gareth France wrote:
>>
>>> I'm toying with moving on to arranging a met up for those interested as I
>>> collect them and just generally trying to get a bit of a buzz locally.
>>> Thanks for the offer, of course keeping costs low will be crucial to making
>>> this work. I'll be in touch in due course.
>>>

>> where in the country are you based? How can people on the list find you to
>> get one of your fine pre-installed Ubuntu machines?
>>

>> --
>> Libertus Solutions http://libertus.co.uk
>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

Gareth,

Open-source developments such as Ubuntu, lend themselves naturally to
furthering local community development. For example if you offer some
sort of training to local people, possibly around a LoCo. You will find
that the local council will be really interested in some sort of
regeneration funding. Most of them are now frantically looking for
alternatives away from the 'retail bubble.'

Another possibility is to consider looking at becoming a Social
Enterprise, such as a Community Investment Company (CIC). Where
investors and funding agencies really understand relatively new ideas
such as, open-source and crowdsourcing. I believe that there are good
funding possibilities for CICs.

Don't forget that taking traditional bank funding can also limit your
company's flexibility grow. Largely because the bank is only interested
in making money from your business. They have no interest in supporting
fresh new ideas.

John