[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu in a networked workplace

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 23:01:48 UTC 2011

On 16/11/11 21:54, Andres wrote:
> Curiosity question:
> If ubuntu was installed in a company with around 1600 desktops and
> laptops that need to be networked with shared server drives and need to
> be backed up daily. I guess antivirus and normal security would also be
> needed. What would be the boot up time of a computer that normally takes
> 5 to 10 minutes to boot up with XP? The servers run on linux, btw.

Hmmm, that could be down to the age of the machines, the traffic on the
network, or maybe if the network drives are hosted on remote servers (we
get that where I work, being an international company some of the
servers are dotted around Europe or the US and the WAN link is pretty
tslow which can cause Windows to hang occasionally or run slow).

It could also be using roaming profiles or applying policies which can
slow it down.

It maybe quicker using Ubuntu, but again it could also be slow too.

> Would doing a backup still slow the computer down significantly?

I wouldn't have thought so, unless it's maybe trying to heavily compress
data on the machine when it's backing up.

> The reason i ask is that i found that when turning on my work computer
> (xp) with out of network the boot up speed increased significantly. And
> was thinking if this problem would be the same even if switching from xp
> to linux.

Maybe it's because it's trying to find a server with a slow connection.
  I find my work laptop running Windows 7 can run like a dog when it
boots up or resumes from hibernation if I have the network connected or
wifi on while it tries to find servers.  If the network is disconnected
and the wifi turned off it tends to not try to find the servers and be a
bit more responsive.

In my experience with Gnome 2 on Ubuntu I've found that when connecting
to a server with a slow connection (such as my home server over a VPN
connection) it can in some cases cause Nautilus to hang but the rest of
the machine seems pretty responsive.

Rob