[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu desktop app hacking

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed Nov 16 02:38:14 UTC 2011

Hi Bruno,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:49:50PM +0000, Bruno Girin wrote:
> Following the last meeting [1], I was left with the action to look for a
> venue to do some Ubuntu desktop app hacking evenings. As suggested by
> Jorvik during the meeting, I went tonight to have a look at the London
> Hackspace in Hoxton [2] to see if it would be a good place to do that.

Excellent! As a long time hackspace member who really doesn't attend
enough, I have to say that hackspace is a truly awesome project.

>  * Non-members are welcome too so there's no need to become a member.
>    Although they won't say no if you contribute a small donation or
>    decide to become a member :-)

Membership is also really cheap, and gets you unescorted 24 hour
access (Oyster or other RFID card opens the door) and a storage box
of your own.

>  * The only downside is that it's slightly out of the way and a fair
>    walk from the closest tube station (Old Street).

It's not that bad! Yes, the nearest tube is 0.7 miles away (and
Liverpool St. just over a mile), but Hoxton station is literally
over the road from the 'space, and the East London Line is quite
good.

I live (far out) in West London myself so the journey is quite
annoying, but if it was out West then it'd be just as bad for people
in the East. :)

> Generally, they seem very open to anything as long as it's hacking of
> some sort and everybody can get involved so it definitely looks like a
> good option to me.

I think there's nowhere better to meet people doing interesting hands-on
things with technology. You get a chance to use all manner of tools
that you would otherwise find very hard/expensive to gain access to,
and some people who are usually happy to give you basic instruction in
their safe use.

I'm really glad to hear that you found time to have a visit.

Cheers,
Andy